Saturday, June 29, 2019

WHAT IS SELF-CARE FOR ARTISTS?

TENDINITIS IS THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG
Don't worry! This is the only
Ad for the book in this post!
If you are an artist, cartoonist, or other creative type suffering from repetitive stress injury and you have an extra $17, the easiest way start on a self-care regimen of improved work habits and corrective exercise is to go by my book Draw Stronger.

But, as many of you know, musculoskeletal injuries are not the only health issues that keep us from creative practice. Chronic illnesses like cancer, epilepsy, migraine (my personal fave!), and more, can keep us from being able to physically sit our artistic butts in a chair and get to work. States of mental health like depression, bipolar disorders, and more can also keep us away from creative time. The kicker is that these states are not exclusive! You can experience them separately or in various combinations with different degrees of severity. What combination(s) do you experience? PTSD and carpal tunnel syndrome? Lupus and bipolar disorder? Cancer, anxiety, and disc herniation? Oh, yeah – don’t forget eye strain! The possibilities are endless!

This is a slide from a talk I gave at the Massachusetts
Independent Comics Expo (MICE) in 2018,
called "Drawing Deep: Physical and Mental Self-Care Strategies
for Comics Creators." Art is Georgia Webber's.
Let us a agree to say that a drawing injury is ANY state of your body-mind-spirit that keeps you from, or affects, your drawing (in a bad way.)

Since finishing Draw Stronger, I have been involved in many panels and events, at comics conferences, bookstores, and colleges, exploring the definitions and parameters of “self-care”. I am thrilled at the work other artists and health educators are doing to help people care for themselves and live more creative and productive lives. And, of course I’m thrilled for me too! Not only do I give advice, I follow the advice of other people and am happier for it.

UNIVERSAL TRUTHS
 On May 12, 2018, I was on the panel, Practical & Personal: Communicating Health in Comics, at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival (TCAF), with Iasmin Omar AtaJulie Rocheleau, and Georgia WebberWhit Taylor moderated.

During our talk, Iasmin and Georgia laid out a few universal truths about good health and making good comics:

  1. Every person has their own version of health.
  2. You have to be in touch with how you’re feeling.
  3. Know your limits because…
  4. The consequences of not learning health lessons fast enough can be extreme.
  5. Find a balance between passion and what’s right for you.

  
WHERE YOU CAN FIND MORE INFO AND RESOURCES (by me)
For the last year (or so) I have been writing a column for the ComicsBeat.com called Get A Grip! It’s a self-care column that includes as many facets of healthy creative practice that I can think of. There are articles on Graphic Medicine, mental health, eye strain (coming soon!), using Styrofoam rollers, interviews with creators, and more! You can even find a transcript of Iasmin and Georgia’s discussion at TCAF. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kriota Welt, I just want to say thank you for this awesome book! A friend of mine and I were walking through Forbidden Planet, and he saw the book and said I should buy it. Without hesitation, I decided to buy it and man, is this book something else! This book is helping me learn to take it easy as an illustrator since I tend to go a little to hard with the comic pages and having terrible sleeping patterns, so this book helps me to ease up so that i don't end up entering my 30's and 40's in pain and regret for going too hard for my art! So again, thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm so glad you find the book helpful. Here's to happy drawing for the next 40 years!

      Delete
  2. Found this book now that I've been injured for 6 months due to overworking myself.I didn't realise how badly I can injure myself from just drawing, especially that I'm younger (18). Went to multiple doctors, but they're always confused with my case for some reason, so this book may help me understand the problem better! I can't find it anywhere in my country and online shipping would cost me more than I can handle. Is this available as an ebook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,
    Sorry you are injured! I'm not sure what country you are in, but if you can get to a physical therapist/physiotherapist that might be helpful. Draw Stronger is not available as an ebook. There are used copies on Amazon.com, which could help reduce cost a bit. You can also go to the GET A GRIP link in this post to get some tips on rest, self-massage, etc. which may help. Those articles are free.
    Hope you can get some rest and mend up quickly!
    Best,
    Kriota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! The GET A GRIP! articles seem to be very helpful, thank you for bringing them to my attention and writing them in first place! I just read the healing by millimeters article with it's follow up part 2. I can't express how much that affected me, I relate to Nate's experience so much! I have gone to a physiotherapist, but it wasn't very helpful. Again thank you so much!

      Honestly, the mental toll the injury took on me is far worse than the physical. I would draw all day all my life, I would do it when I'm sad, but now I'm sad because I can't draw, which made me totally understand Nate's struggle with guitars. I've hardly seen any noticeable improvement for months, it constantly nags me that I may never be okay again or ever draw again.

      Reading how Nate has indeed improved, even after how long it took and how he prescribes it as "Healing by millimeters" is a welcome relief that I desperately needed. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Caroline,
      I am SO GLAD Nate's story resonates with you. If he can come back to his creative practices, you can too. But it will take time and discipline (in a good way.) I'd suggest doing any exercises and following any guidelines the physiotherapist gave you. Even if they don't help much, they might help a little and their benefit may increase over time. Heal by millimeters.

      You can also experiment with how frequently you time breaks, the type of drawing media you use, and how you set up your workspace. I'm optimistic that eventually you will find your path back to drawing.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much!! I'll be sure to do that!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete