Thursday, July 10, 2014

MINIS WITH MEDICAL THEMES

YOUR MINI WILL BE ASSIMILATED

I tend to collect a lot of minicomics with medical, health, and/or anatomical themes when I go to comics events, bookstores, or even just open the mail. Many of them are remarkable for better or worse. So I thought perhaps I would start sharing some from my bookshelves with you. My comments aren't so much review as description.

WHERE HAVE ALL THE PLACENTAS GONE?
Brescia Birdthroat Bloodbeard
This is not a rhetorical question. It's the title of a charming mini I picked up at Blue Stockings bookstore. This mini is a semi memoir visionary dream romance between the narrator and her lost placenta. A recipe for a placenta smoothie is included as well as speculation about the commercial uses of placenta.

MEMOREXIA
Box Brown

Beautifully illustrated in trendy risograph technology, a young man engages in medically induced memory recall for therapy he's not willing to complete. Highly recommended.


THE DEFORMITORY
Sophia Wiedeman
A data entry tech grows claws where her hands once were. The claws have willful personalities and are not always cooperative. She comes to live at the Deformatory, a haven for people with deformities which include physical characteristics of non-humans. We follow other people and their stories. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say that our protagonist takes things a little too far with her claw hands. Great line illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment