Tuesday, February 25, 2014

NEW LINEA ALBA

STARTED IN 2011 AND FINISHED IN 2014
New Linea Alba 

While recovering from abdominal surgery in October of 2013 (I'm fine!) I decided to drag up an anatomical illustration self-portrait project that had been sitting on my shelf for a couple years. You might notice that this is my hairstyle from awhile back. I was compelled to finish it with my updated anatomy and memorialize my new scar. I scanned a page from a relatively "ancient" paperback of Shakespeare plays for the background to add antiqued "authenticity."


A scan of the original image, page 24 of the book.

New LInea Alba is based on an anatomical plate published in the early 17th century. The plate belonged to a deceased (at the time of publication) and prominent anatomist named Guilio Cesare Casseri. The artists making the plates were Odoardo Fialetti and Franceso Valesio. The book this illustration is found in De humani corporis fabrica libri decem was authored by Adriaan van de Spiegel. Confused? You don't have to be! Visit my favorite website, Historical Anatomies On The Web to discover a treasure trove of... well exactly what it sounds like. Plus bibliographic and biographic information on the authors. It's the best!

1 comment:

  1. love this Kriota. Bold stuff and really well done! I wonder how the hell you did that!
    wanted to let you know that i am finally taking gil hedley's dissection class in SF in april (3 weeks now as he's making an atlas of anatomy) and it's all due to your praises of the class way back when i was your student. thank you for helping shape my interest in this wacky form we call home for now!! all the best to your work kriota. it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete