Saturday, November 16, 2013

TISSUE SAMPLER AND ENDOSCOPY CROSS STITCH

POOR PHOTOS, GREAT PROJECTS
Here are two recently finished needlework projects, both in pseudo-sampler form.

CATHERINE'S KNEE TISSUE SAMPLER
My friend Catherine gave me the MRIs of her meniscal tear. I've set two different cross sections and two sagittal sections against each other. They are surrounded by a border of fibroblasts - cells that secrete collagen, the main component of scar tissue. This is a true stitch and tissue sampler. Each tissue has it's own stitch. The stitch may vary from cross to sagittal section to reflect how the tissue looks when cut in either direction. Except the fat. Fat looks the same on a cadaver no matter which way you cut it. I gave it a condensed cashmere stitch in all views. 


CATHERINE'S KNEE TISSUE SAMPLER (2013)
16x16" Cotton perle on mono canvas
This took 168 hours over the course of one year to complete.


MY ENDOSCOPY
This self-portrait was a hit in the emergency room at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge MA. I started it pre-hospital visit and was working on it the whole two weeks that I was there. I had to pull a couple square inches of stitches out because of the drugs they were giving me. That's my excuse, anyway.


MY ENDOSCOPY (2013)
13x6" Embroidery floss on Aida cloth 
I hope to finish the colonoscopy by Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment