Monday, August 6, 2012

PALPATION ON THURSDAY AUGUST 9

This summer I've been taking Minerva Durhams figure drawing class on Thursday mornings at Spring Studio, 64 Spring Street, NYC, from 9:30 am-12:30 pm. Minerva is an excellent artist/anatomist and gives small presentations between rounds of figure drawing. She really knows her stuff and is endlessly entertaining. She can draw a pelvis - without reference - UPSIDE DOWN! 

This Thursday, August 9th, I'm going to do a little 30 minute demo on palpating bony landmarks of the upper extremity. We'll look at the organization of the bones and joints in the shoulder, arm, and hand, define the movements that occur at the joints between said bones, fine bony prominences and joints on ourselves, and I'll show them on the model. Then you'll get to practice drawing from a model while keeping that half hour whirlwind tour in the front of your mind.

These are some of the pencil sketches I've been doing in Minerva's class. They are maddeningly pink. My camera did not like my lighting. You'll see some anatomical errors. I was working without reference, and some of them are 5 minute drawings. I love Minerva's classes classes because she gives you permission to emphasize anatomy over the external figure, if that's what you want to do. And of course I do.






No comments:

Post a Comment